School Sport Returns In 2021
On January 18, 2021 the NSW Government announced the recommencement of School Sport state-wide.
Both Primary and High schools have been granted health advice on minimising the risk of Covid-19 transmission within NSW school communities while encouraging sport participation.
According to the NSW School Sport Unit Practical guide for sport and physical activity:
“Interschool sport and physical activity can recommence. This means that schools and students may now travel outside their local community,”
“Zone carnivals (swimming, cross country, athletics), round robins and gala days involving more than one school, can also recommence,”
“External providers can be used for sport and physical activity programs provided they have a COVID-19 Safety Plan in place.”
Australian Oztag (AO) are pleased to announce the return of NSW Oztag Interschool tournaments, clinics, and gala days. This includes:
- NSW Secondary School Regional Tournaments – open to all schools (private and public) for both boys and girls (year 7/8, 9/10 and 11/12 combined).
- The Champions and Runners up in each division are invited to the Champion of Champions tournament, where a NSW Merit team will be selected.
- Internal Primary School Clinics – can be privately organised to promote the game and improve skills.
- Primary School Gala Days – competitive tournament run over one day. The three locations for 2021 are Western Sydney, South Coast and Sydney East.
- NSW Regional tour – 2021 Far North West Regional Tour, including Tamworth, Warialda and Coonabarabran. Will include visits to Primary schools and associations.
AO have advised that the 2021 dates and areas will be released in the coming weeks. Please keep an eye on our website and socials for updates and announcements.
We encourage associations to assist with promotion and attend School sport tournaments and gala days to advertise their local competition.
If interested, please ask your school to contact our staff. We will not accept enquiries from parents or students.
- For Secondary school enquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Primary school enquiries, email email@example.com
Alternatively, recommend our programs to schools in your area and encourage their participation at interschool tournaments and gala days.
AO are on the hunt for new referees willing to work at our NSW school tournaments in 2021. Such events will be mid-week – ideal for Uni and School students available in the middle of the day. If interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.